DJ'ing 101: A Quick and Dirty Introduction to the Art and Science of becoming a DJ.
We can't promise you'll be headlining stadium gigs in Ibiza - or even your cousin's dholki this winter - but we will bring you an enjoyable introductory guide to DJ'ing, in a very interactive setting, with hands-on guidance as and when needed. When you're done, you will be able to confidently entertain yourself and your closest friends...
Who is it for?
This introductory fall course is ideal for those music lovers and enthusiasts who want to share their music with the rest of the world and at the same time want to learn the basic art and science of DJ’ing. Those beginner DJs can also participate who are practicing and experimenting in their bedrooms or friend’s place for sometimes but deep down they know that with little guidance and exposure they can go out and do it in front of a live audience.
For course details kindly visit the link in bio.
Time: 5 PM - 6 PM
Date: 21st Jan - 25th Feb
Venue: JOYCO, F-38 26th Street, near Abdullah Shah Ghazi Mazar, Block 4 Clifton, Karachi.
Age group: 10 and above
Class of 5 - 10 participants
Early bird PKR 12,000/-
Regular PKR 15,000/-
Register now with @ticketwala or via WhatsApp 0335 8645333
For more details on the course visit
A brief about the Instructor:
DJ and experimental music producer, Saulat Qadri, also known as DJ Saulat, is part of Karachi's vibrant electronic music scene. He got his first break in 2014 at Creative Karachi Festival (CKF) where he performed as a resident DJ. Since then, he has been performing regularly at Alliance Frances, The Second Floor (T2F), Karachi Arts Council, numerous other mainstream and underground venues, including live streaming channels (such as Karachi Community Radio, Disc Chowki etc.).
He has produced over 20 original tracks
Obsessed with turntables, Saulat is also a cratedigger and does not hesitate to spin some rare records at his live performances. Although predominantly he plays multiple genres, covering experimental, progressive, house, pop, disco and lots and lots of 80s music.
You can find his original tracks and mixes on :
Day 1: * Introductions * Origins of Deejaying (presentation) * Facebook support for participants * A live demo of some typical DJ hardware and software * Participants' installation of DJ software * Interactive discussion with DJ demo
* Participant registration on Soundcloud and Mixcloud
Day 2: * Some basic music theory: One, Two, Three, Four! * Beats Per Minute: Mixing instrumentals with different tempos * DJ software interactive tutorials * Importing music * Building Playlists * Cross-fading * Tempo * Beat-matching * Pitch-shifting * Looping / Sampling * Effects! * Developing your music collection: Records? Tapes? CDs? MP3s?
* Video Day 3: * Review * Understanding music formats: sound quality * Equalization, compression, volume levelling * Genres * Building a good set: - Do your homework (Song selections and playlist)
- Transitions - Buildup - Flexibility
Day 4: * Performance Tips:
* Practice, practice, practice!
* Know your equipment
* Know your setlist(s) (or Know your tunes)
* Know your audience? Be Original? Can you do both?
* Backups / contingencies
* Web Resources Day 5: * FIELD TRIP! A guide to Karachi's hidden DJ treasures Day 6: * Participant performances: Live 15 minutes set displaying your musical preferences and your DJ skills (minimum 3 songs to be mixed)
* Now You're a Superstar: Upload your mix to Mixcloud and Soundcloud, publicize it through Facebook!
* Parting thoughts
* Distribution of certificates of participation Highlights and Outcome:
* A live demo of some typical DJ hardware
* After attending this course, participants will be able to mix and record their sets
* Also they will be able to upload their recorded mixes on Mixcloud and Soundcloud
* Surprise Field Trip! A guide to Karachi’s hidden DJ treasures
* Free hand outs and reading material (which is not available on the net)
* We were just joking – now you can easily handle your cousin’s dholki!
Materials Required from Participants:
1. You must love music! 2. Headphones 3. Laptop computer for Virtual DJ software, which will be provided (specs below): Windows ___________ Supported Operating systems * Windows XP SP3 * Windows Vista * Windows 7 * Windows 8 * Windows 8.1 * Windows 10 Minimum Hardware requirements * Intel(r) Pentium(r) 4 or AMD Athlon(tm) XP * Windows XP SP3 * DirectX compatible soundcard * 512MB RAM * 20MB free on the hard drive Recommended Hardware requirements * Intel(r) Core(tm) 2 or AMD Athlon(tm) X2 * Windows 7 * Multi-channel DirectX compatible soundcard * 2048MB (2 GB) RAM * 200MB free on the hard drive Mac OSX ___________ Supported Operating systems * OS X v.10.7 (Lion) * OS X v.10.8 (Mountain Lion) * OS X v.10.9 (Mavericks) * OS X v.10.10 (Yosemite) * OS X v.10.11 (El Capitan) Minimum Hardware requirements * Intel(r) processor * Mac OS X v10.7 * CoreAudio compatible soundcard * 1024MB RAM * 30MB free on the hard drive Recommended Hardware requirements * Intel(r) processor * Mac OS X v10.9 * Multi-channel CoreAudio compatible soundcard * 2048MB (2 GB) RAM * 200MB free on the hard drive